Philosophy at Metropolitan State University
Why are we here? What is the meaning of life? What happens after we die? How should I live? What makes a society just? Philosophy classes offer you an opportunity to confront some of the really big questions.
At Metropolitan State University we call ourselves the Department of Practical Philosophy and Ethics because we emphasize the ways philosophy can be useful to people who want to think more clearly, to see through 'spin' and propaganda, to improve their understanding of values and principles, and to orient themselves in a confusing world.
Why take philosophy courses at Metropolitan State University? Because they will:
- Expose you to challenging and thought-provoking ideas that you would not otherwise encounter.
- Teach you to reason more carefully, write and speak more clearly, and to be a more effective advocate for your ideas and values.
- Give you the tools to critically evaluate beliefs, choices, policies, and institutions.
- Bring you together with engaging teachers who know how to bring philosophy out of the ivory tower and connect it to the issues in your life.
- Help you develop the skills you need to succeed in almost any field or vocation.
- Philosophy students score higher on standardized tests like the GRE, GMAT, and LSAT than most other students. Only some of the hard sciences (like math and physics) do better.
- Philosophy teaches transportable skills: skills that allow you to move successfully from one career path to the next. Philosophy students have the mental flexibility -- the ability to think outside the box and to adapt quickly to changing conditions -- that employers are looking for.