Share your passion for social studies with young students. Prepare for a Minnesota Social Studies Teaching License. Gain a strong foundation in social science disciplines and the intellectual skills necessary for excellence as an urban school teacher. You will accomplish these goals with a degree in Social Studies Teaching. Teach 5th-8th graders and 9th-12th graders to link personal experience with larger socioeconomic forces. Upon completion of the Social Studies Teaching BS and Urban Secondary Education Licensure, you will also:
- Enhance your critical thinking and communication skills.
- Develop skills in planning instruction, guiding learning, and assessing student performance.
- Build on your skills to synthesize and apply core concepts from a variety of social science fields to enhance your own and your students understanding of topic areas.
- Use your cultural awareness, engaging in reflection and analysis of the social and cultural roots of your own values, behaviors, and beliefs, and those of your students.
- Encourage your students to think realistically and hopefully about ways they can act positively to change their communities.