Department of Dental Hygiene Mission
Metropolitan State University Department of Dental Hygiene's mission is to prepare licensed dental hygienists for advanced practice and enhance the oral health of underserved and diverse populations. Programs are built on academic excellence and support the value that advanced education is essential to the delivery of quality, safe, accessible, cost-effective oral healthcare. The Department of Dental Hygiene is committed to collaborative community involvement, emphasizing ethics and social responsibility.
The goals for the Dental Hygiene Programs are to:
- Prepare graduates who will be competent to provide quality comprehensive care that responds to the increasing oral health care needs of individuals, families and communities.
- Provide access to early interventions, quality preventive and primary oral health care, through collaborative referrals to dentists and other health care practitioners.
- Ensure admission of a qualified and diverse student population leading to an oral health care workforce that reflects the communities served.
- Participate in collaborative community health promotion with education and industry partners to foster expanded practice and research opportunities.
- Engage students in professional activities and lifelong learning to advance the profession and the discipline of dental hygiene.
- Provide outcomes that reflect relevant and current dental hygiene practice.