You can also use standardized testing to earn college credit for previously untranscripted knowledge gained via experience. Several nationally-accredited testing organizations offer exams in a wide variety of subjects. Some of these tests meet Metropolitan State GELS requirements, all others may be used towards your focus area in the Individualized BA. For most tests, here is the process:
- Review the examination description at the appropriate web site.
- Take a practice test using one of the many study guides available.
- Register/pay the testing organization for the exam.
- Take the exam. If you score at or above the 50th percentile, the specified credit is applied to your Metropolitan State transcript. No further payment is required to Metropolitan State. The only exception to this is for the exams that may be used to meet your Metropolitan State GELS writing requirement. For these exams, you must score at or above the 60th percentile.
For information on the tests (such as costs and the number of hours that may be applied towards your degree), see the test descriptions at each of the following sites:
- College Level Examination Program ( CLEP ) offers exams in Business, Composition, Foreign Language, History, Literature, Social Science, Science and Mathematics. See also Metropolitan State's CLEP Exam Information.
- DANTES Subject Standardized Tests ( DSST ) adds Business, Accounting, Physical Sciences, and Humanities exams to the CLEP list.
- Excelsior College (formerly Regents) adds more Business, Nursing, Liberal Studies, and Technology exams to the previous two lists.