The application deadline for Fall 2015 admission is February 15 2015.
The School of Nursing reserves the right to review applications received after the deadline to help insure a full cohort. Applicants should allow approximately 45 business days for admission decisions following the established application deadline.
Review the DNP Applicant Policies before submitting your application materials.
A complete application file consists of two parts (three for international students.) We recommend that you begin the application process by first applying online using the new online graduate application. Once you’ve applied online you can login to the Applicant Portal using your StarID and password at any time and upload your remaining documents, submit your references, and check on the status of your application.
- Online Graduate Programs Application Please note you will need a MnSCU StarID to complete the application. If you don’t have a StarID you will create one at the beginning of the application.
- If you do not have or choose not to provide your Social Security number (SSN) please follow the No SSN instructions to activate your StarID.
- Non-refundable Application Fee can be paid through online application
- Current doctoral fee of $40 is waived for graduates of Metropolitan State University.
- Official Transcripts
- Official transcripts for all post-secondary institutions attended.
- Transcripts showing BS/BA and MS (post-master's applicants only) degrees in nursing must be from a regionally accredited institution, also accredited by either the National League for Nursing (NLN) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- Applicants must have a 3.0 cumulative GPA for all previous post-secondary study and degrees, including any courses completed that did not directly lead to a completed degree.
- All transcripts from non-U.S. schools must be evaluated (course-by-course) by either ECE (preferred) or WES. We will also accept evaluations from CGFNS.
- Electronic transcripts should be sent to email@example.com
- Paper transcripts should be sent directly from the sending institution (preferred.)
- Professional References; using your StarID, submit online references using the Applicant Portal.
- Provide three references from current or former professional sources, one from each category:
- faculty member
- peer or colleague
- If an applicant has been out of school for ten years or more and a reference can no longer be obtained from a faculty member, an applicant may petition to substitute an additional supervisor reference. Petition request form and instructions can be obtained from pre-admission advisor, Lynn Iverson-Eyestone by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Admission Essay; using your StarID, upload using the Applicant Portal.
- In a typed, double-spaced essay of approximately 1500 words please address the following topics:
- Describe how you envision the role and scope of the DNP-prepared Family Nurse Practitioner.
- Describe your future practice (including the population with whom you foresee yourself working) and explain how this practice will contribute to the goals of the School of Nursing as noted in the mission: to advance professional nursing and to enhance the health of under-served and diverse populations.
- Describe and explain life, work or academic skills, knowledge and/or experience you currently possess that contribute toward the two goals stated above. Also describe how these factors will contribute to your success in this graduate program and in the development of your advanced practice nursing role.
- Applicants are expected to use their own words and ideas when responding to essay questions. To clarify or strengthen a point, applicants may choose to include the thoughts and ideas of others when responding. In these cases, applicants are required to provide proper 6th edition APA citation of the works in which the ideas originated. Applicant essays are subject to plagiarism review, including the use of plagiarism detecting software. The consequences for essay plagiarism will be decided by the SON Admission/Retention Committee and could result in various consequences, including the full denial of an application.
- Applicants are encouraged to review language regarding plagiarism found in the Student Handbook.
- Post ELMSN prerequisite
- As a prerequisite to admission, Post-ELMSN applicants must have completed a graduate level statistics course in the last five years with a grade of B or better.
- Unencumbered License: using your StarID, upload using the Applicant Portal.
- Evidence of current unencumbered RN licensure in one state with eligibility for licensure in Minnesota.
- PDF or an image file of your license or state board login page showing unencumbered license.
- Computer Proficiency: using your StarID, upload using the Applicant Portal
- Completed computer proficiency form with student signature acknowledges awareness of computer proficiency expectations established by the School of Nursing.
Part Three – International Students Only
In addition to parts one and two, international student applicants must provide:
- English language proficiency: Students must demonstrate English language proficiency or permanent resident status, documented or demonstrated by one of the following ways:
- Is a US citizen or permanent resident,
- Has a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree from an English-speaking institution in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand,
- Holds an H-1 visa at the time of application that will be in effect at the date of matriculation,
- Has a minimum TOEFL score of 250 (Internet-based), or 600 (paper-based) achieved within 24 months of intended matriculation, or
- Has an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher achieved within 24 months of intended matriculation.
- Financial statement
- Immunization records
- Passport, visa, I-94, international home address and phone numbers
Visit International Student Services graduate admissions for part three details.
Submit Part Three To:
Graduate Studies Office Metropolitan State University
1501 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55403
13th Street and Harmon Place
MEC Building, Office M4003