The Master of Science in Alcohol and Drug Counseling program empowers students to master the increasingly complex challenges involved in treating addiction and fostering recovery. Students in this program are challenged to enhance their professionalism and engage in critical thinking, while being supported in meeting their career goals and enlarging their self-awareness and self-care. As a result, they generate new enthusiasm for their profession, and develop greater capacity for enhancing others’ skills through clinical supervision. This is a practice-oriented program suitable both for current alcohol and drug counselors and for other helping professionals who wish to add this specialty. Areas of emphasis include:
- Advanced Expertise in the Utilization of Evidence-Based Practices: Enlarge your abilities as a helper by studying the theory and research base of multiple evidence-based practices and applying them in clinical settings.
- Co-Occurring Disorders Competence: Advance your understanding of the interplay of substance use and psychiatric disorders and how to address them in a variety of settings.
- Culturally Responsive and Anti-Oppressive Practice: Engage in thoughtful dialogue regarding the role of oppression, particularly race, class and gender oppression, in the development and maintenance of substance use disorders and consider implications for clinical practice.
- Advanced Expertise in Ethics and Professionalism: Consider the complexities of ethical decision-making, as well as how you will employ it both in your own practice and in supervising others.
- Competence in Integrating of New Findings into Clinical Practice: Become a competent consumer of the research literature relevant to substance use and co-occurring disorders.
|Apply to Program
||View the Catalog|
After reviewing the information provided on the website, if you have specific questions regarding the MS in Alcohol and Drug Counseling, you may email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org . General questions about the applying process can be directed to email@example.com.